Take out your wok, and toss in the tofu and vegetables. Dinner is served in 30 minutes.
This is a vegetarian dish I often rely on when I know that time is short, but the flavors make it seem like a special meal. It's easy: just tofu and fresh veggies, along with soy sauce, ginger, peanuts, sesame and oyster sauce to give it an Asian flair. And the great thing about it is that it is very healthy.
Serve this with hot steamed white rice, and you will be in for a delicious vegetarian Asian dinner, all made from scratch in your own kitchen.
Sautéed tofu and vegetables in oyster sauce recipe
This simple sautéed vegetarian dish using tofu and vegetables is made even more delicious with the addition of oyster sauce.
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 25 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Olive oil
- 7 ounces tofu, cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1-1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 1-1/2 cups cauliflower florets
- 4 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons peanuts
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Hot steamed rice, for serving
- In a small bowl, mix together the soy sauce, sugar, lemon juice and water (leaving a little to be mixed with the cornstarch), then adjust the taste if needed. Set aside.
- In another small bowl, mix the cornstarch with the reserved water, and set aside.
- In a wok or large saucepan over medium heat with olive oil, sauté the tofu. When it turns light golden brown, add the garlic, onion and ginger. Toss for another 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetables, and toss for about 3 minutes.
- Pour in the soy sauce mixture, lower the heat, cover, and cook for about 12 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked through.
- When the vegetables are cooked, add the oyster sauce and cornstarch mixture, and toss for another 3 minutes.
- Mix in the peanuts, sesame seeds and sesame oil.
- Serve with hot steamed rice.
More tofu recipes
Miso-glazed tofu with spicy string beans
Sweet and sticky cashew tofu
Coconut-crusted tofu with spicy peanut sauce