I'd had burrata before but I feel like I really "discovered" it last year when I found it sold in a local store. Upon realizing it wasn't just something I'd need to enjoy on the occasional dinner out — usually in some sort of tomato or beet salad — and that I could dig into this amazing two-part cheese at home, I became full-on obsessed.
I love white pizza because of the ricotta on top so the thought of using burrata — which has a mozzarella exterior and a creamy ricotta interior — on a pie seemed like a killer recipe to me. Indeed, this tomato sausage base topped with burrata that melts and oozes all over the top of the pizza and fresh basil is pretty much my pizza heaven.
Sausage burrata pizza recipe
Not every pizza needs mozzarella. Burrata cheese makes for a delicious pie with its mozzarella outside and creamy ricotta inside.
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 12 minutes | Total time: 32 minutes
- Your favorite store bought pizza dough or this homemade easy 3-ingredient pizza dough
- Cornmeal for dusting the pizza stone
- 10 ounces ground sweet Italian sausage
- 2 large shallots, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- Dash red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces burrata, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, roughly torn or chopped
- Place a pizza stone in the oven and preheat to 450 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, cook the sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Break the sausage into small pieces with a spatula or wooden spoon.
- After about 5 minutes, add the shallots and cook until the sausage is fully browned and shallots are softened.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the garlic. Stir and cook another minute.
- Add the tomato paste, stir to combine with the sausage and cook until it turns a deep red color — about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and stir until it is incorporated with the sausage mixture. Season with the red pepper and then shut off the heat.
- Remove the pizza stone from the oven and roll your dough out to cover it.
- Spoon the sausage mixture on top of the entire surface of the dough and place it in the oven for about 10-12 minutes until the edges start to turn golden-brown and crispy.
- Remove from the oven, scatter the burrata on top and garnish with the basil.
More pizza recipes
S'more dessert pizza
Easy chicken taco pizzas
Chicken Alfredo pizza