This Mexican-inspired meal is easy to whip up and you'll love the flavor combination of beef and grilled zucchini. The chipotle-cream sauce is the perfect topping for a bit of extra zing.
I went just slightly unconventional with this dish and included grilled zucchini in the mix. And why not? They’re everywhere you look right now and there is nothing better than eating seasonal produce. Change things up by including different veggies when the fall or winter hits.
These gluten-free tostadas are perfect for a festive dinner. Serve them with rice and beans for a complete meal.
Note: Gluten can be found in many different foods and products — from ketchup to soy sauce to candy and seasonings. While SheKnows.com tries to ensure these recipes are gluten-free, carefully read the ingredient labels of all food and food products you use for these recipes to ensure they are also gluten free.
Beef and zucchini tostadas with chipotle-cream sauce recipe
These tostadas are so easy to customize. Add corn or cubes of avocado. You could also add cheese to the tops and pop them under the broiler for about 20 seconds.
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time 15 minutes | Total time: 23 minutes
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 chipotle pepper from a can of chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon of the adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1-1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup diced white onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon dried cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce, more or less to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 large zucchini, ends trimmed and sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeds and membrane removed, cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, torn, as garnish
- 8 (5-inch round) gluten-free corn tostada shells
- Add the sour cream, chipotle, adobo sauce and milk to a food processor and mix until combined. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat on the stovetop. Let the pan heat up and add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onion and cook for about 3 minutes. When the onion begins to soften, add the garlic, then the ground beef. Break up the ground beef with the back of a cooking spoon and cook, stirring, until browned.
- Once the ground beef is browned, add the tomato paste, water, coriander, cumin, hot sauce, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper. Cook for another minute or so, stirring, then remove from the heat and cover.
- Place a grill pan over medium heat on the stovetop. When it’s hot, lightly spray with the nonstick cooking spray. When the grill pan is hot, add the zucchini rounds and the pepper strips. Cook for just a few minutes on each side, or until dark grill marks form. Remove from the heat and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper.
- When cool to the touch, dice the zucchini rounds and the red pepper strips.
- Assemble the tostadas by first adding 3-4 heaping tablespoons of the ground beef to each, followed by the zucchini and peppers. Top each tostada with a drizzle or dollop of the chipotle-cream sauce, and garnish with the cilantro.
- Serve immediately.
More gluten-free recipes
Corn flake and coconut-crusted baked chicken
Hoisin-glazed chicken with roasted green beans