This barbecue chicken recipe will not disappoint — just one look and you'll be drooling.
Get ready to enjoy this dish — but be prepared to have sticky fingers and maybe a smudge or two of sweet-and-spicy sauce on your chin. No worries. Everyone will be so focused on enjoying this Korean barbecue chicken, they won’t notice.
The flavor of this barbecue chicken dish will definitely wow your guests and family. It’s a little sweet, a little spicy, and a bit sticky, too. The sugars in the sauce will help the chicken acquire nice grill marks, so keep a close eye on them so they don’t burn.
You don’t have to marinate the chicken, but the extra hour is time well spent. This is a flavorful and tasty dish to serve at your next get-together.
Korean barbecue chicken recipe
This Korean BBQ chicken is something special to serve at any gathering. Add some grilled veggies and a side of potato salad for a meal that’s slightly different and delicious. Use chicken drumettes to help absorb all the flavors into every bite.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Inactive time: 1 hour | Cook time: 24 minutes | Total time: 1 hour, 34 minutes
- 1-1/2 pounds (about 12) chicken drumettes, bone in, with skin
- 3 green onions, ends trimmed, cut into small pieces (reserve 1 for garnish)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2-1/2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2-1/2 tablespoons Korean spicy hot pepper paste (or your favorite hot sauce)
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
- Nonstick cooking spray
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients except for the chicken and reserved green onion. Whisk well to combine — until the brown sugar has dissolved.
- Add the chicken to a large zippered plastic bag. Pour all but about 2 tablespoons of the mixture over the chicken. Close the bag and use your hands to gently massage the mixture over the chicken so it’s well coated.
- Refrigerate the chicken, laying it flat, for about an hour. After about 30 minutes, flip the bag of chicken over so the marinade coats both sides.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly spray a baking pan with the nonstick cooking spray.
- Add the chicken to the baking pan and arrange it so none of the drumettes touch each other. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and carefully brush the chicken with the reserved sauce.
- Set a grill to medium-high heat. When hot, add the chicken and cook for just 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Remove, garnish with the remaining green onion and sesame seeds and serve.
More chicken recipes
Grilled chicken and pineapple pita sandwiches with cilantro-broccoli slaw
Barbecue chicken pizza
Slow cooker peanutty Thai chicken with white rice