When I discovered violet flower syrup the heavens parted and my life was imbued with new meaning. Who doesn't love violets, right? They're delightful and their syrup not only adds a fun purple tinge to everything but its subtle floral flavour is the perfect embellishment to all summer drinks.
With a combination of fresh lemons, honey, ginger, chilled sparkling water and violet flower syrup it is bound to become your new summer favourite.
Twist it up with fresh lemons, honey, ginger and chilled sparkling water and ponder how you ever lived life — and survived summer — without this refreshing fizzy twist on the old classic.
Violet lemonade recipe
Preparation time: 10 minutes | Cooking time: 10 minutes | Total preparation time: 20 minutes
- 5 to 6 large lemons
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 glasses sparkling (or still, if you prefer) water, chilled
- 2 teaspoons violet flower syrup
- Cut and squeeze the juice of 5 or 6 large lemons into a jug or bowl. If you like your lemonade to be pip-free pour the juice through a sieve. I like to keep mine rustic — pips and all.
- Stir in two teaspoons of honey (or more if you prefer your lemonade to be on the sweeter side).
- Sprinkle the fresh ginger into the mixture and stir together. Press the ginger lightly with a spoon as you stir to release some of its juices.
- Pour the juice into the bottle or jug in which you are going to serve your lemonade (you can use the container you have made the lemonade in if you like).
- Top it up will chilled sparkling (or still) water, tasting as you go, until you reach the intensity of flavour that you like.
- Slowly pour in two teaspoons of violet syrup. You can also add ice cubes if you don't think the lemonade is cold enough.
- Pour the lemonade into glasses, swirl with a straw or stirrer and serve.
More lemonade recipes
8 Delicious lemonade recipes for summer
5 Classic cocktails that are even better when you add lemonade
Spiked lavender ginger lemonade is the perfect way to welcome summer