One of my favorite vegetables to cook with is fresh zucchini. What’s great about zucchini is it's so versatile that it can be used in a wide range of recipes.
From zucchini cake to zucchini noodles — the possibilities are endless with this green veggie. In this dish I sliced the zucchini in half and grilled them, cut sides down, for a few minutes. Once grilled they get baked with juicy slices of tomatoes and fresh mozzarella cheese.
Before serving make sure you garnish them with a good drizzle of balsamic reduction and a nice handful of fresh basil leaves. This super simple, yet elegant and easy, dinner takes little effort but makes a delicious side dish or vegetarian main course.
Grilled zucchini caprese recipe
Fresh grilled zucchini is topped with fresh tomatoes and mozzarella then baked until warm. Garnish with balsamic and fresh basil leaves for this simple summertime dinner.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 25 minutes | Total time: 40 minutes
- 4 medium zucchini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 4 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1 (8 ounce) ball fresh mozzarella, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasonings
- Fresh chopped basil, for garnish
- Balsamic reduction, for garnish
- Heat a grill pan over high heat. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and spray a baking sheet or large casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cut each of the zucchini in half lengthwise and drizzle each half with olive oil. Using your hands, gently rub the olive oil over the cut surfaces of the zucchini to evenly coat.
- Sprinkle the cut sides with salt and pepper and place cut sides down on the grill pan. Grill for 3-5 minutes or until grill marks show on the zucchini.
- Once the zucchini are grilled, place them on the baking sheet. Top each zucchini half with tomatoes and mozzarella slices and sprinkle with the Italian seasonings.
- Bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes or until the zucchini is very tender and the cheese begins to melt.
- Remove from the oven and garnish with fresh basil and a drizzle of balsamic reduction before serving.
More zucchini recipes
23 light and healthy zucchini recipes
Fried zucchini sandwiches with garlic yogurt
Zucchini fritters with tzatziki sauce