Schnitzel is traditionally a thin piece of meat that is coated in eggs and breadcrumbs and then fried. Learn how to make this popular German food easily right at home.
In this recipe, I used chicken breast that is coated lightly in an egg wash and then dipped into a panko breadcrumb mixture. To give a bit of salty flavor to the breadcrumbs, I added in some freshly grated Parmesan cheese along with garlic powder.
Most times, schnitzel is served with potatoes, but in this recipe, I swapped cheesy mashed cauliflower in place of the white potatoes for a healthier side dish.
This is a deliciously filling meal and perfect for the whole family.
Chicken schnitzel recipe
This German dish uses thinly sliced chicken that is coated in egg and breadcrumbs and then fried until crispy and golden brown.
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 40 minutes
- 6 (5-6 ounce) very thinly sliced boneless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to season
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
- Fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
- Season each piece of chicken generously with salt and pepper.
- To a bowl, add the eggs, and lightly beat.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, panko breadcrumbs, regular breadcrumbs, garlic powder and Parmesan cheese. Mix well.
- Lightly dredge each piece of chicken in the egg mixture and then in the breadcrumb mixture. Gently tap off the excess breadcrumbs.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and add in the oil.
- Lay the chicken pieces in the skillet, and cook 4 to 5 minutes per side. (You might have to do this step in 2 batches so as to not overcrowd the pan.)
- Transfer the cooked chicken to a plate lined with paper towels. When ready to serve, spoon the desired amount of cheesy cauliflower onto a plate, and top with 1 chicken schnitzel. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley, and serve warm.
Cheesy mashed cauliflower recipe
Skip the usual mashed potatoes, and use cauliflower instead. Similar in taste when mashed, cauliflower resembles potatoes — it's lower in carbs but not in flavor.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 10 minutes | Total time: 25 minutes
- 1 large head cauliflower, florets removed
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese mix
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add in the cauliflower, and cook for 5 minutes or until very tender.
- Drain the cauliflower, and transfer it to a food processor. Blend on high until the cauliflower is finely chopped.
- Add the remaining ingredients, and blend on high for 2 minutes, until the mixture is very smooth with no lumps.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, and keep warm until ready to serve.
More chicken recipes
Slow cooker chicken Marsala
Skillet sesame chicken
Slow cooker mango barbecue chicken