No need to order a side of chips with this cheeseburger, because they're already built in.
And no buns needed either, because there's something even better waiting for you with every bite — crispy homemade tortilla chips. And what's a cheeseburger without onion and pickles? They are staples in these cheesy nachos.
The secret ingredients are mustard and ketchup. Just a light drizzle of both along with the onion and pickles give these nachos that perfect cheeseburger taste.
Melted cheese with tortilla chips is the best, but cheeseburger-style is even better.
I especially like that I can eat this cheeseburger at the same time as I'm eating tortilla chips. The best of both worlds.
They make a fun appetizer too.
Cheeseburger nachos recipe
Instead of with a bun, this cheeseburger comes with homemade, crispy tortilla chips, nacho-style. These cheeseburger nachos are topped with onion, pickles, ketchup and mustard, with lots of melted cheese.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 35 minutes | Total time: 45 minutes
- 8 corn tortillas, each cut into 4 triangles
- 1/2 cup canola oil (amount may vary depending on size of the pan)
- 4 dashes salt (for the tortilla chips)
- 8 ounces ground beef
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (for the ground beef)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped onion (white or yellow)
- 1/4 cup chopped dill pickle slices
- 6 drizzles ketchup
- 6 drizzles yellow prepared mustard
- Heat a small skillet on medium heat, and add the canola oil.
- Put 1 tortilla quarter into the skillet, and when the oil bubbles, add 3 or 4 more quarters. The quantity of tortilla quarters cooking in the pan may vary depending on the size of the pan. Cook in batches so as not to overcrowd the pan.
- When the bottoms of the chips turn a golden color, turn them over.
- When both sides of the chips are a golden color, transfer them from the pan to a plate lined with a paper towel. Set aside.
- Heat a medium-size skillet on medium heat, and add the ground beef, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir together.
- Cook until the ground beef is thoroughly cooked.
- Transfer the ground beef to a plate lined with a paper towel.
- To a serving plate, shallow bowl or paper-lined plastic hamburger basket, add the chips.
- Top with a layer of ground beef, and then top with cheese.
- Put the dish in the microwave for about 30 seconds or until the cheese melts.
- Top with onion, pickles and drizzles of ketchup and mustard.
- Serve right away.
More nacho recipes
Balsamic barbecue pulled pork nachos
Cajun seitan nachos
Spaghetti squash nachos with jalapeño cheese sauce