Mangoes and coconuts brighten up bread pudding with unexpected tropical flavors in a fabulous, simple recipe.
There are so many things to do with leftover bread, and one of them is to make bread pudding. Sweet or savory, it's always a winner. But I love modifying according to what other ingredients I have at home.
With this recipe, I added some mangoes and lemon zest to the pudding and finished it off with some mango-coconut cream. It'll be hard to resist snagging seconds. Enjoy!
Bread and mango pudding with mango-coconut cream recipe
Bread pudding is my favorite way to use up stale bread. It's a very easy, economical recipe too. With a touch of mangoes and coconut, this bread pudding is packed with tropical flavor.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Bake time: 1 hour | Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes
For the bread pudding:
- 1 pound stale bread, torn into small pieces
- 2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 cup fresh ripe mango pulp, diced small
- 1 organic lemon, zest only
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons soft butter
- Mango-coconut cream (see recipe below)
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, soak the bread in the milk for about 5 minutes, then add the sugar, raisins, mango, lemon zest, eggs and butter.
- Grease the baking pan (ideally about 8 inches) with butter, and then pour in the pudding mixture.
- Bake for 1 hour or until it is cooked through and the top part has turned golden.
- Serve warm with the mango-coconut cream.
For the mango-coconut cream:
Yields 2 cups
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 25 minutes
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1/3 cup muscovado sugar
- 1/2 cup mango pulp, diced small
- In a small saucepan over low-medium heat, combine the coconut milk and sugar. Let it boil, and then simmer for about 15 minutes or until it thickens.
- Add the mangoes, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve warm on top of the bread pudding.
More bread pudding recipes
15 Gooey bread pudding recipes to dig into this fall
Spinach and cheese bread pudding
Ham, egg and cheese breakfast bread pudding