Birthday cake ice cream seems to be sweeping the kid world, but pineapple upside-down cake ice cream is the sort of dessert hybrid we can get behind!
Love pineapple upside-down cake? Love ice cream? This is one dessert recipe you're not going to want to pass up. This frozen treat is everything you love about the classic fruity cake packed into one frosty treat.
A vanilla-based ice cream is mixed with cake mix, pineapple and coconut oil along with fresh diced cherries. (If you want to add even more cherries, do! That ruby-red color just pops in this ice cream.)
Yellow cake mix would give this dessert a yellow color, but white cake mix would work just as well. If you can't find fresh cherries for this recipe, use jarred maraschino cherries. Cherries are currently in season in much of America, though.
No-churn pineapple upside-down cake ice cream recipe
Pineapple upside-down cake inspired this ice cream (as did show me the yummy). Roasted pineapple, fresh cherries and cake mix make the frosty treat just as good, if not better, than the original.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Bake time: 15 minutes | Inactive time: 6 hours | Total time: 6 hours 30 minutes
- 1 cup canned pineapple chunks, drained
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup fresh cherries, chopped
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup boxed white or yellow cake mix
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread the pineapples in a single layer on the baking sheet, drizzle with the coconut oil, and bake for 15 minutes.
- To a food processor, add the pineapple chunks, and lightly pulse until the pineapple is chopped.
- To a mixing bowl, add the chopped pineapple, cherries, brown sugar, condensed milk and cake mix, and mix well until there are no lumps.
- To a separate bowl, add the heavy whipping cream, and beat on high with a hand mixer until stiff peaks begin to form, about 5 minutes.
- Fold the whipped cream into the pineapple mixture, and transfer to a large container with a lid.
- Freeze the ice cream for about 6 hours or until it is firm and can be served using an ice cream scoop.
- Store in the freezer with the lid on the container for up to 2 weeks.
More homemade ice cream recipes
Vegan cake batter ice cream
Ice cream recipes that don’t require an ice cream machine
Easy ice cream sandwich cake