Need a super-easy dessert that’s completely dairy-free? These bite-size treats are the perfect mini treat, making them great for entertaining, for kids or for just a small treat when that sweet tooth strikes.
I used puff pastry as the crust, pricking it with a fork before baking so that it didn't rise too much. Vegans, be sure to check the ingredients on your package of pastry before using it to ensure it's dairy-free. Once the crusts were baked, I topped the rounds with a super-creamy chocolate pie filling containing a secret ingredient: avocado.
Don’t be dismayed when you spy avocado in this recipe. Not only does it make the chocolate topping ultra creamy, it also adds fiber and nutrients without giving the dessert an odd flavor. It definitely works here — give it a try.
Mini vegan chocolate cream pie bites recipe
Inspired by Amanda Nicole Smith
Decadent, creamy and plant-based, these bite-size chocolate pie treats are perfect for anyone looking for a delicious dessert while avoiding dairy.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Bake time: 15 minutes | Inactive time: 30 minutes | Total time: 1 hour
For the pastry shells
- 1 sheet puff pasty dough, thawed
- 1 small biscuit cutter
For the chocolate filling
- 1-1/4 cups raw cashews, soaked
- 2 large, ripe avocados, halved, seeds removed
- 3/4 cup canned full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup cacao powder (can substitute with dark chocolate powder)
- 1/4 cup raw agave nectar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
For the topping
- Cocoa powder, for garnish (optional)
- Coconut whipped cream (optional)
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F, and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the thawed puff pastry dough.
- Using the biscuit cutter, cut 12 circles out of the dough, and place them on the parchment paper. Poke each piece of dough with a fork several times, and then bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, and let cool for 15 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients for the chocolate filling.
- Using a hand mixer, mix the filling until it is very thick and creamy and there are no lumps. Cover, and chill the chocolate filling for 30 minutes.
- When ready to assemble, place the puff pastry shells on a serving platter.
- Spoon the chocolate filling into the center of each pastry shell, and garnish with coconut whipped cream and cocoa powder.
- Best served immediately.
- Tip: When soaking the cashews, place the nuts in a large bowl, and cover them with warm water. Allow to sit on the counter and soak for 4 hours or overnight.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.
More vegan dessert ideas
No-bake vegan Meyer lemon tarts
Vegan almond cookies
Boozy vegan raspberry cupcakes