Nuts are healthy additions to our diet, but if you are tired of popping them into your mouth in their simplest form, then you can make these easy savory and sweet recipes to give them a new light.
With just a few tilts of the saucepan, you can create salty and delicious garlic roasted peanuts, soft and crumbly shortbread candies, called polvoron, and sweet cashew brittle. You will be surprised how, with just a few basic ingredients, these delicious snacks can turn out, straight from your kitchen.
Cashew polvoron recipe
These soft and crumbly little shortbread candies are great sweet snacks that kids and adults both will love. Basically they are made of toasted flour and nuts made compact by melted butter.
Prep time: 40 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 1 hour
- 1/2 cup unsalted cashew nuts
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup powdered milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- In an electric chopper, ground the cashew nuts, and set them aside.
- In a saucepan over low-medium heat, toast the flour until lightly brown, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid burning.
- Transfer the flour to a bowl. Add the cashews, powdered milk and sugar, and mix well.
- Pour in the melted butter, and mix until well combined.
- Using a polvoron molder or cookie cutters (with spring ejection), press in the mixture to shape the polvoron.
- Wrap them in precut cellophane or Japanese paper.
Garlic roasted peanuts recipe
Roasted peanuts mixed with crisp and golden garlic is a great snack, and it is very easy to prepare.
Yields 2 cups
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes | Total time: 20 minutes
- 1/2 cup canola oil (can be replaced with sunflower or another mild-tasting oil)
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 2 cups raw peanuts (can be replaced with store-bought peanuts)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- In a saucepan over medium heat, warm up the oil. When it is hot, cook the garlic until it turns golden brown. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
- In the same saucepan over low-medium heat, sauté the peanuts, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes. Transfer them to a plate lined with paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
- In a bowl, mix together the peanuts, garlic and salt. Serve.
Cashew brittle recipe
This is a very simple sweet snack with just three ingredients. The excess can be kept in an airtight container.
Prep time: 40 minutes | Cook time: 8 minutes | Total time: 48 minutes
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup unsalted cashew nuts
- In a pot over low heat, combine the sugar and water. Let the sugar melt without stirring, cooking for 5 to 8 minutes. When it turns lightly golden in color, tilt the pot to spread the liquid.
- Stir in the cashews, and then pour the mixture onto a cookie sheet. Spread it around evenly.
- Leave to cool until it hardens, about 30 to 40 minutes.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.
More nut recipes
Nut-stuffed acorn squash
Nutella cashew milkshake
Fruit and nut salad