I always say I've never met a waffle I don't like, and I like to think I've tasted just about every waffle variety known to man. But at some point I think I started to realize that my affection for traditional waffles wasn't solely based on the flavors they were made with — I just liked the idea of waffling something. There's something so simple and fun about throwing a mix of ingredients into the waffle iron and watching them come out perfectly crispy and imprinted with that funky windowpane pattern.
Check out all our 1 Item, 5 Ways videos
As is usually the case in my kitchen, my fascination with all things waffled got me thinking about the crazy, delicious creations I could cook up using my beloved waffle iron, and what transpired was a mouthwatering array of possibilities. Watch as I show you five unconventional recipes to create using your waffle iron, including an insanely scrumptious chicken pot pie waffle, a savory waffled omelet and a waffled beef tamale that will make you question why a tamale would be made any other way!
Subscribe to SheKnows EATS on YouTube
1. Waffled chicken pot pie recipe
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 1/2 cup finely diced carrot
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 2 cups shredded or chopped cooked chicken
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 packages prepared pie crust
- Sauté the onion, carrot and celery in olive oil for 10 minutes.
- Add flour to the sautéed vegetables, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth to the vegetables over medium heat, and stir constantly until the sauce thickens.
- Stir the half-and-half into the chicken, and season with the thyme, salt and pepper. Let cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, and let the mixture cool.
- Heat the waffle iron to high heat.
- Prepare the pastry dough, cutting it into pieces that will fit onto the waffle iron.
- Lay out the bottom piece of pie dough, and top it with a thin layer of the mixture. Cover with another piece of dough, then place onto the waffle iron, and close the lid. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove the pie from the waffle iron, and serve with the remaining warmed filling.