What's better than a fresh, hot loaf of homemade bread coming out of the oven? In my book, nothing tops the smell or flavor of fresh baked bread, especially if it's this summer tomato focaccia. Topped with sweet, juicy tomatoes and lots of fresh parsley, this bread is a must-make when tomatoes are in season.
This simple yeast bread is topped with slices of fresh, sweet tomatoes, sea salt, garlic and dried herbs, then baked up until fluffy and golden. This bread is wonderful when making a sandwich or for dipping into soups. It even makes great homemade croutons or just a simple snack.
Tomato focaccia bread recipe
Inspired by Style Sweet CA
This easy homemade focaccia bread is topped with sliced tomatoes, sea salt and dried herbs before being baked up golden brown.
Prep time: 25 minutes | Inactive time: 45 minutes | Bake time: 20 minutes | Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes
For the bread dough
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons raw, organic honey
- 2-1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
For the topping
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4-5 large Roma tomatoes, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herbs
- Fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
- To a large mixing bowl, add the yeast, warm water and honey. Mix well, and let stand for 10 minutes or until the mixture starts to foam slightly.
- To a separate bowl, add the flour, salt and olive oil. Carefully pour the yeast mixture into the flour, and mix until a soft, sticky dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, and knead for 5 minutes or until the dough becomes elastic.
- Place the dough into a large bowl lightly sprayed with nonstick cooking spray, and cover with a kitchen towel. Let the dough rise for 45 minutes or until it doubles in size.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F, and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, turn it back out onto a floured surface.
- Using a rolling pin, gently roll out the dough into the desired shape (about 1 inch in thickness).
- Using your fingertips, gently press down into the dough, creating little holes but not breaking through the dough.
- Transfer the dough to the baking sheet. Brush the top of the dough with olive oil, and sprinkle the minced garlic on top. Add the sliced tomatoes, sea salt and dried herbs.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until the top of the bread is a nice, golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, and garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
- Serve warm, or keep in an airtight container until ready to enjoy for up to 4 days.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.
More homemade bread recipes
Homemade paleo bread
Cheesy pepperoni spinach stuffed bread
Flourless cloud bread