Take, for instance, bruschetta, which can be an appetizer or a wonderful light and meatless meal. Pita flatbread crisps up nicely in the oven and tastes fresh and delish when topped with a Greek-inspired tomato-basil topping.
Made with a touch of garlic, the pita bread is crispy and just thick enough to stand up to the tomato mixture.
These also make a nice "heavy" appetizer for serving in the early evening when folks may be more on the hungry side. And the tomato mixture can be made ahead of time, which is a real plus when having guests over.
Tomato and basil pita bruschetta recipe
Toasted pita bread is topped with a tomato-basil mixture, feta cheese and Kalamata olives.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 10 minutes | Total time: 25 minutes
- 3 pita flatbreads, cut widthwise in 4 equally sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (for the pita bread)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (for the pita bread)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (for the pita bread)
- 3 plum tomatoes, seeds removed, chopped
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil
- 6 dashes ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (for the topping)
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1/3 cup Kalamata olives, cut in quarters (save about 6 for garnish)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 4 drizzles olive oil (for the bruschetta)
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- On a large cookie sheet, lay out the pieces of pita. Brush each side of the pita with olive oil, and sprinkle garlic powder and salt on top.
- Bake until the pitas turn a light golden color (about 8 minutes or less, depending on the thickness of the pitas).
- Remove from the oven, and set aside.
- To a medium-size bowl, add the tomatoes, basil, pepper, salt and garlic. Stir together.
- Top the toasted pita with the tomato mixture.
- Add the Kalamata olives and crumbled feta cheese on top.
- Lightly drizzle olive oil on top, and serve.
If you're a fan of crispy bacon, cheese and an over-easy egg, then this breakfast is for you. Pita flatbread is so nice and soft and goes great with a lightly cooked egg.
But don't be like me and pull out the bacon so you can eat it first. Feel free to snip the bacon off the sides, though. These pieces are definitely up for grabs.
For those who like their eggs lightly cooked, just dig in from here, and enjoy the deliciousness.
Breakfast pita pizza with bacon recipe
This breakfast pizza is made with pita flatbread and topped with bacon, cheddar cheese and an over-easy egg.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes | Total time: 25 minutes
- 2 pita flatbreads
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 pieces cooked bacon (cooked lightly, not too crispy)
- 2 eggs
- 4 dashes salt
- 4 dashes ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella or Monterey Jack cheese
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- On a cookie sheet, spread the olive oil right under where the pitas will lie.
- Add the pitas.
- Spread the butter on top of the pita bread, and sprinkle with garlic powder.
- Lay the bacon on top of the pita, with about 1/4 inch between each piece.
- Add the cheese on top of the bacon.
- Crack an egg, and put it on top of the cheese. Try to get the yolk in the middle of the pizza.
- Add the pizza to the oven, and bake until the eggs are over easy, about 10 minutes.
- If it's desired to have the eggs cooked over hard, then cook them in a separate pan along with a little butter (the bacon may get too browned if left in the oven too long).
- Serve while hot.
Pita chip nachos have some volume to them and lots of crunch. And nachos aren't nachos without cheese and jalapeños, so these are loaded up with cheese and jalapeño slices.
Try serving them in individual pans for fun. I would have to make mine in a very large individual pan, because these chips are so good.
Pita chip nachos with jalapeños recipe
Crispy pita chip nachos are topped with cheese, jalapeños and salsa.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 8 minutes | Total time: 18 minutes
- 3 pita flatbreads, cut into wedges (8 wedges per pita)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup bottled jalapeño peppers, sliced
- 1/2 cup salsa
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- On a large cookie sheet, lay the pitas. Brush each side with olive oil.
- Sprinkle the salt and chili powder on top.
- Bake until the pitas turn a very light golden color.
- Just before serving, put the pita chips into ovenproof serving dishes or small pans, top with the cheese, and bake until the cheese starts to melt (about 4 minutes).
- Top with jalapeño slices and salsa just before serving.
As if tacos weren't good enough on their own, try putting taco filling in a soft and warm pita flatbread. It is so amazingly delicious.
I like how the pita flatbread holds up better than corn tortillas do when taking big old bites of these yummies.
Ground beef pita tacos recipe
Soft pita bread ground beef tacos are topped with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes and salsa.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
- 4 pita flatbreads
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or salt to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 3/4 cup salsa
- Heat a large, nonstick skillet on medium heat, and add the ground beef, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir together.
- Continue stirring as the ground beef cooks and until thoroughly cooked (about 12 minutes).
- Remove the ground beef from the pan onto a paper towel-line plate (to drain off excess grease).
- Heat a large, nonstick skillet on low to medium heat, and lay the pita bread in the pan just long enough to warm the pitas (you might need to do this in batches).
- Add the meat to the middle of the pitas, and top with salsa, cheese, lettuce and tomato.
- Serve while warm.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.
More pita bread recipes
Chicken taco pitas
Ham and pineapple-stuffed pita pockets
25-Minute sweet and spicy Thai shrimp salad in a pita