Everyone loves a fresh baked muffin, but most times they are just calorie bombs loaded with sugar.
My son loves muffins, and while on occasion I don't mind him enjoying one, I really don't like him eating all those processed ingredients or the serious amount of sugar they contain.
I came up with this much healthier muffin that swaps out all the bad ingredients and uses good things, such as coconut oil for healthy fats, oat and almond flour in place of white flour, hemp seeds for protein and organic blackberry jam and stevia for sweetener. Now I can allow my son to enjoy muffins without feeling like I'm feeding him garbage.
Organic, vegan, blackberry jam muffins recipe
All-natural and gluten-free, these vegan muffins skip the processed stuff and use good-for-your-body ingredients.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Bake time: 15 minutes | Inactive time: 30 minutes | Total time: 1 hour
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 large, ripe banana, mashed
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 6 drops vanilla stevia
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup organic blackberry preserves
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1-1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F, and prep a muffin pan with muffin liners.
- In a small bowl, combine the ground flaxseeds and warm water. Mix well, and let stand 5 minutes or until very thick.
- To a large bowl, add the remaining wet ingredients (expect for the preserves), and fold in the flax mixture.
- To a separate bowl, add all the dry ingredients, and mix well.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and mix well.
- Using a medium-size cookie scoop, fill each muffin cup about 3/4 full with muffin batter.
- Top each muffin with a heaping spoonful of blackberry preserves, and swirl it into the batter using a small butter knife.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, and let cool for 30 minutes. Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.
More vegan recipes
Kung pao chickpeas
Toasted coconut energy bars
Creamy vegan cheesecake