I remember the exact day the Chili's in the town I grew up in opened. It was a big deal because it was the first chain restaurant we had, and pretty much the entire town was there on opening night. We waited something absurd, like two hours, for a table, and I housed entire baskets of the tortilla chips and salsa as we waited for our poor, overwhelmed waitress to finally get to our table and take our order.
After seeing runners from the kitchen come out with sizzling skillets of fajita ingredients and stacks of tortillas in individual baskets, I knew that was what I wanted. The allure of Chili's has since worn off (thankfully), but if I somehow find myself there these days, I still order the same thing because I love the memory of that night.
These slow cooker fajita sandwiches have everything you love about fajitas, except the slow cooker does the work for you during the day. They might not come with a sizzling pan delivered straight to your table, but they definitely don't disappoint.
Slow cooker pulled chicken fajita sandwiches recipe
The flavors of fajitas are made in the slow cooker so you can pile it high in a sandwich at dinnertime with hardly any prep.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 4 hours | Total time: 4 hours 10 minutes
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1-1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- Sriracha sauce, to taste (optional)
- 4 rolls
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Coat chicken in the olive oil, and place in the bottom of the slow cooker with the onions.
- Add all the spices, diced tomatoes, tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce, and cook on high for 3-1/2 hours or on low for 6-1/2 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker (it should be falling apart), and shred it with 2 forks. Return it to the slow cooker, and toss with the liquid.
- Add the sliced peppers to the slow cooker, cover, and cook on high for 30 more minutes, just to take some of the crunch out of them.
- Once done cooking, add the Sriracha sauce, if using, to the slow cooker, and toss everything together.
- Serve on rolls, and garnish with cilantro.
More slow cooker recipes
Slow cooker spaghetti and meatballs
Slow cooker yellow lentil dahl
Slow cooker Cherry Coke beef carnitas