These strawberry roses are easy to make and are great on their own, although they are even better as a tart topper.
I found some fresh passion fruits and I'm so glad I used them; these tarts are light, tangy and flavorful. I can't imagine a better dessert for a night of watching romance awkwardly begin to bloom on TV. I hope one of these ladies finds love, but either way I'll be happy with my edible flowers!
Making the strawberry roses is easy.
Just use a sharp knife to cut thin slices on all sides of the strawberry, repeating rows of petals as needed.
Now you're ready to hand out your roses.
Bachelorette passion fruit and strawberry rose tarts recipe
- 1-1/2 cups cookie crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup passion fruit juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup cream
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- Combine cookie crumbs (I used a mix of graham crackers and Nilla wafers) with salt and melted butter.
- Use your fingers to press the cookie crumbs into the pie shells; create an even layer on the bottom and sides.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 5 minutes until the crust comes together. Lower the oven to 300 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl combine the lemon juice, passion fruit juice (fresh passion fruit is preferable but juice will still taste great) and sugar. Whisk together to dissolve the sugar and then add the cream and eggs. Combine thoroughly.
- Pour the filling into the crusts and bake at 300 degrees F for 30 minutes. If you are using a full-size pie shell it will take closer to 45 minutes.
- Make strawberry roses. Use a sharp knife to cut thin slices on all 4 sides of the strawberry; use the knife to position these "rose" petals outward. Cut another round of petals a little further into the strawberry; this row doesn't need to be as thin. Depending on the size of the strawberry you may be able to add a third row of petals.
- Once the tarts have come to room temperature you can refrigerate them until they are ready to be served. Just before serving add the roses, place them on top of the tarts or use toothpicks to give them height.
The Bachelorette: 10 Things that happen behind-the-scenes that you'll never see
Bachelorette Kaitlyn Bristowe reveals how she really felt about the twist
The Bachelorette's Britt is reportedly in love with a hot singer (PHOTOS)