This is definitely not your standard potato salad. Earthy red potatoes and sweet red peppers are roasted and tossed with peppery arugula along with a lemon-maple dressing and shaved Parmesan cheese.
Potato salad is that one dish everyone thinks of when the picnics and barbecues start happening. While delicious, most recipes use mayonnaise, which is higher in calories, making it anything but waistline friendly.
This potato salad takes a turn for healthy and skips the mayo and heavy dressings, opting for a light and bright lemon and olive oil dressing. Rather than boiling my potatoes, I tossed them into olive oil and herbs along with sliced red peppers, and roasted them in the oven.
Hearty enough to fill any vegetarian's belly, this salad could be a main course for your veggie-only guests or a lovely side dish next to grilled chicken or a juicy burger. This is wonderful served at room temperature or chilled.
Roasted red pepper and potato salad recipe
Light yet filling, this wonderful salad is full of roasted red peppers and red potatoes that are tossed with fresh arugula. Dressed in a light lemon and olive dressing, it's finished off with Parmesan cheese. Tip: Make this salad ahead of time by keeping the greens, dressing and cheese separate and tossing right before serving.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Bake time: 45 minutes | Inactive time: 10 minutes | Total time: 1 hour 5 minutes
For the potatoes
- 1 pound small red potatoes, diced or halved
- 2 large red bell peppers, sliced
- 1 small sweet onion, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon roasted garlic
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the salad
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 small shallot, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 cups fresh baby arugula greens
- 1 large handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Parmesan cheese, for topping
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To a mixing bowl, add the potatoes, peppers, onions, olive oil and roasted garlic, and season with salt and pepper.
- Toss the vegetables well, and spread them evenly onto the baking sheet. Roast for 45 minutes or until the peppers and potatoes start to brown and look caramelized.
- Remove from the oven, and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- To a salad bowl, add the olive oil, lemon juice, maple syrup and shallots, and season with salt and pepper. Mix the dressing well, and add the baby arugula and chopped parsley.
- Toss the greens well, and transfer to a serving platter.
- Top with the roasted peppers and potatoes, garnish with long, shaved slices of Parmesan cheese, and serve.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.
More potato salad recipes
Caramelized onion Gorgonzola potato salad
Grilled romaine and sweet potato salad
Mason jar pineapple chicken and potato salad