Think fajitas have to be stuffed with meat? Think again. These easy, oven-roasted fajitas are filled with fresh sweet bell peppers, onions and zucchini. And to give this dish a protein boost, add salsa-marinated tempeh.
Tempeh, a common staple of plant-based diets, is a fermented soy product that is not as processed and is much easier on the digestive system compared to tofu. It is a versatile ingredient and can be sliced, diced, crumbled and cubed, making it a perfect substitute for meat products when cooking.
Tempeh will generally take on whatever flavors you're cooking with, so make sure to season it really well, since it is also very absorbent if you are using liquids. Look for tempeh at your local health food store, near the vegan foods or tofu section.
Oven-roasted tempeh and vegetable fajitas recipe
Skip the meat, and use tempeh in your fajitas. Peppers, onions and zucchini are oven roasted with diced tempeh and served in whole-grain tortillas for a wonderful meatless dinner.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Inactive time: 30 minutes | Bake time: 30 minutes | Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 1 (8 ounce) package tempeh, diced
- 1 cup salsa (any type or flavor will work)
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper, sliced
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 envelope fajita seasoning
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- Sour cream, for topping (optional)
- Diced tomatoes, for topping (optional)
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Warm tortillas, for serving
- To a bowl, add the diced tempeh, salsa and lime juice. Gently stir, and cover with a lid or plastic wrap. Allow the tempeh to marinate for 30 minutes on the counter to absorb the flavors.
- Meanwhile, heat the oven to 375 degrees F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- To a large bowl, add the vegetables, olive oil, fajita seasonings and hot sauce. Toss the vegetables well, coating them evenly in the oil and seasonings.
- Transfer the vegetables to the baking sheet, and spread them in a single layer.
- Add the marinated tempeh, and bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until the tempeh begins to brown and the vegetables begin to soften.
- Remove from the oven, and transfer the fajitas to a serving plate.
- Serve the fajitas on top of warm tortillas, and garnish with sour cream, diced tomatoes and fresh cilantro, if desired.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.
More meatless recipes
Vegetarian Tex-Mex stuffed peppers
Strawberry and avocado panini
3 Meatless ways to jazz up frozen pizza