Inspired by my grandmother, this cake is light, fluffy and full of rich chocolate flavor with a hint of tang from the sour cream. It's perfect for entertaining or just curing that sweet tooth.
Growing up, I was with my grandma most of the time. What I remember her doing and loving the most was cooking and baking. She loved baking this easy chocolate-sour cream cake for my dad, but oftentimes my sisters and I would get to it before my dad did.
This cake is super easy, with simple ingredients, and is literally fail-proof. You can use a Bundt cake pan to prepare this cake, or you can use two regular-size loaf pans, which is great for gifting a loaf to a friend or freezing one for another time. I love to serve this yummy homemade cake with a dollop of fresh whipped cream.
Grandma's chocolate-sour cream Bundt cake recipe
Rich and chocolaty, this easy cake is perfect when you want a truly homemade dessert just like Grandma use to make. Serve with fresh whipped cream, if desired.
Yields 1 Bundt cake or 2 loaves
Prep time: 15 minutes | Bake time: 45 minutes | Inactive time: 30 minutes | Total time 1 hour 30 minutes
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups white cane sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 whole organic eggs
- 1-1/4 cups sour cream
- 2-1/2 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1-1/4 cups Dutch process cocoa
- Fresh whipped cream, for serving
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a Bundt cake pan with nonstick cooking spray, and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the butter and sugar, and using a hand mixer, mix until light and fluffy.
- To the sugar and butter mixture, add the vanilla, eggs and sour cream. Mix until everything is smooth and creamy.
- To a separate mixing bowl, add the sifted cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt and cocoa powder.
- Gently mix and fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Pour the batter into the Bundt cake pan, and bake for 45 minutes or until the center of the cake is done.
- Remove from the oven, and let the cake cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes.
- When ready to serve, slice and garnish with fresh whipped cream, if desired.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for 3 to 4 days.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.
More chocolate dessert recipes
3 Indulgent chocolate desserts
Chocolate crinkle cookies
18 Hot chocolate recipes