If you have ever enjoyed authentic Indian food in restaurants, then you have most certainly seen this dish on the menu. Chicken tikka masala is a wonderfully flavored dish consisting of bite-size pieces of chicken simmered in a thick, rich, spicy, tomato cream sauce.
This dish is full of spices commonly found in Indian food, like garlic, ginger, turmeric, coriander, chili and cardamom. Similar to butter chicken, which is also cooked in a thick tomato cream sauce, tikka masala is on the spicier end of things, but you can always control the spice level depending on your desired taste when cooking at home.
Make sure to have a big pot of freshly steamed rice to serve with this chicken. Garnishing with lots of fresh chopped cilantro is not only traditional but adds a lovely pop of green color to this vibrant dish.
Slow cooker chicken tikka masala recipe
Chunks of chicken slow-cooked in a rich and creamy sauce infused with Indian spices, tomatoes and yogurt... Serve with steamed white rice.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 6 hours | Total time: 6 hours 15 minutes
For the masala sauce
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 large sweet onion
- 3-4 cloves fresh minced garlic
- 1 (1 inch) piece fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the chicken
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- Fresh chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Steamed rice, for serving
- To a blender or food processor, add all the ingredients for the masala sauce.
- Blend on high until the mixture is very smooth and velvety.
- To the bowl of the slow cooker, add the butter and the chicken pieces.
- Pour the sauce on top of the chicken, and cover the slow cooker with the lid.
- Set the slow cooker on low, and cook for 4 to 6 hours or until the chicken is completely cooked (cooking time varies with different slow cookers).
- Once the chicken is completely cooked, divide the steamed rice among serving bowls.
- Spoon the chicken tikka masala on top, and garnish generously with fresh cilantro.
- Best served warm. Leftovers will keep for several days in an airtight container when stored in the refrigerator.
More Indian recipes
Indian yogurt-marinated chicken
Modern Indian-inspired recipes