Let the slow cooker be in charge for dinner tonight for a no-hassle, no-fuss, amazingly delicious meal.
If you're a fan of enchiladas, you're going to love this soup. It has all the goodness of an enchilada in every bite. And the best part is that it's made in a slow cooker. It's so super easy to make, and the flavor is just wonderful. Leftovers heat up nicely in the microwave too.
I especially like the hint of lime juice in this soup. Oh, and the toppings are really good too.
Like this melted cheese, for example. It's a match made in heaven with the spicy chili flavor. I think I hear this soup calling your name right now.
Slow cooker enchilada soup recipe
Enchilada soup with ground beef, made in a slow cooker and topped with corn tortilla strips, melted cheese, sour cream and green onions, is a no-hassle, no-fuss dinner that is full of spicy flavor.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 4 hours | Total time: 4 hours 15 minutes
- 32 ounces beef broth
- 5 dried New Mexico or California chili peppers, stems and seeds removed (about 1/2 a 3-ounce package)
- 1/2 an onion, chopped
- 1 pound cooked ground beef
- 5 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt (or salt to taste)
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup masa flour
- 1 corn tortilla, cut into small strips, for the topping
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, for the topping
- 1/2 cup sour cream, for the topping
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion, including the green part, for garnish
- To a large slow cooker, add all the ingredients except for the tortilla strips, cheese, sour cream and green onion.
- Stir together.
- Set the cook time to 4 hours, and let cook.
- After about 2 hours, using tongs, transfer the chilies to a blender along with a cup of the broth. Blend together, and then pour the mixture back into the slow cooker.
- Let cook for the remaining time. When done, stir together.
- Serve hot and topped with corn tortilla strips, cheese and a dollop of sour cream, and garnish with green onion.
More enchilada recipes
Spicy enchilada cheese fries
Slow cooker shredded beef burrito-enchilada
Chicken enchilada pinwheels