Pass up the takeout, and make your very own Asian dinner in the slow cooker — 15 minutes for prep is all the time you need.
I'm a busy mom and wife, and sometimes I need food that is not only fast but super easy too. I used some organic chicken breast I had on hand and added it to my slow cooker with fresh chopped vegetables and a tasty ginger-soy sauce to cook it in. It's as simple as that.
You can serve this dish over cooked white or brown rice or even quinoa, if desired. Garnish your plate with roasted cashews, thin-sliced green onions and fresh Thai basil. This makes great leftovers and is so much healthier than takeout, since you can control the ingredients.
Slow cooker ginger-cashew chicken recipe
Diced chicken and fresh vegetables are slow-cooked in a sweet and savory ginger-soy sauce and served over cooked rice with roasted cashews.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 6 hours | Total time: 6 hours 15 minutes
For the chicken
- 3 large organic chicken breasts, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1/4 cup diced carrots
For the sauce
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh steamed white or brown rice
- Roasted cashews
- Fresh Thai basil, thinly sliced
- Fresh cilantro
- Into the bowl of the slow cooker, place the diced chicken and vegetables.
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the sauce, and mix well.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and vegetables, and place the lid on the cooker. Set the timer to cook on low for 6 hours.
- Divide the steamed rice among plates or bowls. Spoon the ginger chicken on top of the rice.
- Garnish with roasted cashews, fresh cilantro and thinly sliced Thai basil. Best served warm.
More tasty slow cooker recipes
15 Easy slow cooker recipes for spring
Slow cooker chili chicken soup
Slow cooker General Tso's chicken