Is it me, or is the best part of Chinese takeout anything that's swimming in that sticky, delicious, who-the-heck-knows-what-it-actually-is sauce?
Sweet-and-sour chicken was so amazing as a kid before thoughts of "well, what the heck actually is this sauce?" started floating around in my head.
Sticky sauces make pretty much any dinner a million times better, and this apricot chicken proves it. All you need is a jar of jam, and you're on your way to a finger-lickin' good dinner in just 30 minutes. Want to keep things on the lighter side? Skip the breading step completely, and just do regular chicken with the apricot sauce. That'll take a few minutes off prep time as well as make this an even easier weeknight meal.
Apricot sticky chicken recipe
Reminiscent of sweet-and-sour chicken from the local Chinese takeout joint, this easy apricot chicken is made in just 30 minutes. Serve it over hot sticky rice.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- 1 (10 ounce) jar apricot jam
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cups water
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F, and grease a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepot, combine the water and rice. Bring to a boil, then reduce to low, cover, and let cook until all the water is absorbed by the rice.
- To a small saucepot over medium-low heat, add the apricot jam, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Stir until it becomes liquidy, then pour all but 1/4 cup into the bottom of the baking dish.
- Rinse and pat the chicken completely dry.
- In a shallow bowl, beat the egg.
- In another shallow bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, salt and pepper.
- Dip the chicken into the egg mixture, and then coat it in the breadcrumbs.
- Place the chicken into the baking dish, on top of the apricot jam sauce.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, depending on how thick the chicken breasts are, until cooked through, flipping once after 10 minutes.
- Place the rice onto a serving dish. Place the chicken on top, and then drizzle the remaining apricot sauce all over the top of the chicken and rice.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.
More chicken recipes
Braised lime and coconut chicken with herbs
Thai chicken stir-fry
Jalapeño popper chicken