Need a warm, inviting way to serve your family dinner? This simple chicken dish is not only super easy, but its flavor is amazingly rich and elegant.
Chicken breast is lightly browned in a cast-iron skillet, then combined with rice and a rich and creamy homemade sun-dried tomato sauce for a rustic meal. The result is this easy, baked, one-pot, casserole-style dinner that is not only filling but wonderful for busy families. I chose to use instant, precooked rice just to save extra time in the kitchen. You can certainly make a batch of fresh rice or even quinoa if desired.
Rustic cast-iron sun-dried tomato chicken and rice recipe
This chicken is baked in a skillet along with rice in a delicious cream-based sauce laced with sun-dried tomatoes, herbs and Parmesan cheese.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes | Total time: 45 minutes
For the chicken
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large chicken breast, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cups instant or precooked rice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the sun-dried tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or broth
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Asiago or Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasonings
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small handful fresh basil, thinly sliced
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Extra basil and Parmesan cheese, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat the cast-iron skillet over medium heat, and add the olive oil.
- To the skillet, add the diced chicken and diced onions, and cook until the chicken is browned, about 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the instant or precooked rice and the seasonings, and mix well.
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the sun-dried tomato sauce, and whisk until the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Gently pour the sauce on top of the chicken-and-rice mixture, and place the skillet into the oven.
- Sprinkle the top with grated Parmesan cheese, and bake for 25 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked. Remove from the oven.
- Garnish the skillet with extra Parmesan cheese and basil, and spoon onto serving plates. Best served warm.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.
More recipes using sun-dried tomatoes
Spicy ham, olive and sun-dried tomato pasta
Sun-dried tomato and feta-stuffed artichokes
Avocado, mozzarella and sun-dried tomato panini