Around this time of year, kitchens across Australia begin baking up a storm as the delectable fragrance of Anzac biscuits fills the air. But why not celebrate Anzac Day a little differently this year with an easy-bake Kiwi classic: ginger slice.
Also known as ginger crunch, this tasty baked treat can be found in almost every bakery, cafe, supermarket and corner store (or "dairy" as they're affectionately known in NZ).
Here in Australia, however, they're a little harder to come by, so you may have to resort to baking it yourself. Thankfully, this ginger slice recipe is not too complicated, requires only a handful of ingredients and takes less than an hour from beginning to end. What are you waiting for?!
More: Celebrate Anzac Day with this tasty Anzac biscuit recipe
Ginger slice recipe
Preparation: 20 minutes. Cooking time: 20 minutes.
- 225 grams softened butter
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 100 grams butter
- 3 tablespoons golden syrup
- 2 tablespoons ginger
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C and line a medium-sized baking tray with baking paper.
- In a bowl, cream together sugar and butter. Add flour, baking powder and ginger.
- Press base mixture into the baking tray and pop in the oven for around 20 minutes, until golden brown.
- While the base is baking, place a small saucepan over a low-medium heat and add golden syrup and butter.
- Once melted and combined (around 2 minutes), slowly add icing sugar (ideally sift beforehand if possible) until all ingredients have combined (another minute or two).
- Spread topping over the cooled ginger crunch base and allow to set on the bench at room temperature for one hour, then in the fridge.
- Cut into pieces and serve with a hot beverage. Delicious!
More easy dessert recipes
Apple crumble, pan-style
Chocoholics unite! Favourite chocolate recipes
Easy pavlova recipe in 10 simple steps