One-skillet meals are the best when it comes to whipping up a quick dinner and not having to wash a lot of pots and pans. This meal is full of spicy goodness that will make you crave more. I like it because it's one of those "everything in the pool" kind of meals that gives you a taste of each ingredient with every bite.
This dish looks so pretty when the shrimp tails are left on, which also gives it a bit of a finger food flair.
The big decision is whether you want to eat it with a fork or a spoon. I took the spoon route, but of course, either way it tastes wonderful. It's filled with so much flavor that with each bite, you can practically hear the New Orleans jazz and brass bands playing.
Skillet shrimp and andouille sausage rice bowl recipe
This hearty one-skillet Creole dish is made with andouille sausage, shrimp and rice, giving it New Orleans flavor with every bite.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 35 minutes
- 1 andouille pork sausage, removed from the casing
- 12 fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 dash smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 dashes salt (or salt to taste)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon warm water
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat, and add the olive oil, red bell pepper, green bell pepper and onion. Stir together.
- Add the andouille sausage, and stir. Continue to stir until the sausage starts to brown (about 5 minutes).
- Add the broth, paprika, thyme, garlic powder, oregano, pepper and salt. Continue to stir until the sausage is thoroughly cooked.
- Add the shrimp, and stir as it cooks (about 4 minutes).
- To a small bowl, add the flour and water. Stir to form a paste.
- Slowly pour the flour mixture into the large pan while constantly stirring.
- When the liquid starts to thicken, remove the pan from the heat, and serve in a shallow bowl over white rice.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.
More shrimp and andouille recipes
Andouille sausage and shrimp gumbo
Fat Tuesday shrimp and sausage jambalaya
Gluten-free Friday easy sausage and shrimp gumbo