Risotto has a special place in my heart as the comforting winter meal my mom makes on special occasions. Hers is always the same: Arborio rice, saffron, sweet Italian sausage and lots and lots of fresh Parmesan cheese. It's pretty much the creamiest bowl of delicious decadence you can possibly eat, and while I enjoy it the few times a year we eat it, it's definitely not the healthiest meal around.
This risotto, although not even a "real" risotto because the method isn't the same at all, brings all that creamy comfort to your plate just minus a clogged artery or two. Win-win.
Quickly boiled cauliflower is turned into a creamy sauce with garlic and sun-dried tomatoes and then tossed with cooked brown rice. It's the perfect way to indulge while still keeping to your New Year's resolution.
Cauliflower cream risotto with sun-dried tomatoes recipe
This nontraditional risotto recipe brings all the creamy comfort of the rice dish without any of the guilt.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 25 minutes | Total time: 35 minutes
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups water
- 5 cups cauliflower florets (about 1/2 a large head cauliflower)
- 1/2 cup milk
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- Chopped fresh herbs, for garnish
- In a saucepot, combine the rice and water. Bring to a boil, cover, lower to a simmer, and cook until the water is completely absorbed by the rice. Set aside.
- While the rice cooks, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the cauliflower, and cook for about 7 to 10 minutes, until fork tender. Drain the cauliflower, and place it into a blender or food processor.
- Add the milk, salt and pepper, and blend the cauliflower until smooth.
- To a large skillet over medium heat, add the butter and olive oil. Once they have melted, add the garlic and sun-dried tomatoes, and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice to the skillet, and pour the cauliflower cream on top. Stir to combine, and garnish with chopped herbs.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.
More risotto recipes
Lemon ricotta risotto
Cheesy butternut squash risotto