If you love apple pie or apple cobbler, then this super-easy treat will be a new favorite for you. Skipping highly processed foods like white flour, white sugar and other bad-for-you ingredients, this is strictly fresh apples, gluten-free oats and a mixture of chopped nuts, coconut sugar and spices. You won't feel bad about eating this dessert.
If you're like me and love just the filling in apple pie, then you're in for a treat. This is exactly what these baked apples taste like. Not too sweet and not too bland, you will fool yourself into thinking these apples are anything but waistline-friendly. Leftovers also make a great side dish in kids' lunch boxes, since they are good both warm and chilled.
Spiced apple cobbler-stuffed apples recipe
Fresh Fuji apples are filled with a spiced oat-and-nut mixture and then baked until fragrant and soft for a healthy, guilt-free dessert.
Prep time: 20 minutes | Bake time: 30 minutes | Total time: 50 minutes
- 6 small to medium Fuji or other sweet variety apple
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup organic coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup organic raisins (optional)
- 1/4 cup toasted pecans or walnuts, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Ice cream, for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F, and line a baking dish with parchment paper.
- Using a small paring knife, remove the top of the apple, and remove as much of the inside (or flesh) as possible. Place on a cutting board. Repeat with each apple.
- Place the hollowed-out apples in the baking dish, and set aside.
- Using a knife, finely chop the apple that was removed from the insides, and add it to a bowl.
- Combine the chopped apple with the remaining ingredients, and mix well.
- Fill each apple "cup" with the filling, and place the filled apples in the oven.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until the apples start to soften and turn a nice, golden brown color.
- Remove the apples from the oven, and allow them to cool for 5 minutes (the insides will be very hot).
- Serve in bowls, and even top with a scoop of ice cream if desired.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.
More apple recipes
3 Savory apple recipes
Overnight apple-walnut oatmeal
Bacon and goat cheese baked apples