This grilled cheese sandwich has more of a grown-up feel than the standard sandwich you might whip up on the fly. Arugula and roasted red peppers add a touch of sophistication, color and flavor to these open-faced beauties.
Each of us has that one meal to pull out when we don’t feel like cooking or if we haven’t been to the grocery store in a while. For me, "that meal" is the grilled cheese. But check it out, because this Meatless Monday grilled cheese sandwich is a little different from the standard sandwich.
I love this sandwich because it still has that comfort feel to it, yet it includes a few ingredients, like arugula and roasted red peppers, to make it more of a special meal. To top things off, a fried egg served on the very top of this open-faced sandwich makes it even more complete.
This sandwich works perfectly for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Read the FDA's food safety information for how to safely buy, store and prepare eggs.
Grilled cheese sandwiches with roasted red peppers, arugula and fried egg recipe
You don't often think about fried eggs when you think grilled cheese sandwiches, but this recipe will change that. The egg adds heartiness, flavor and fun to a classic sandwich. Swiss cheese pairs nicely with the other ingredients, but you can use your favorite.
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes | Total time: 20 minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 slices rustic-style bread, cut about 2 inches thick
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, cut into strips
- 1-1/2 cups arugula leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 pasteurized eggs
- Salt and ground black pepper, to season
- Butter 1 side of each slice of bread. The buttered side will be placed on the griddle or pan.
- Add 2 slices of Swiss cheese to each slice of bread, followed by the roasted red peppers, then the arugula leaves.
- Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium heat. When the griddle or skillet is hot, carefully place the bread onto the surface to cook for about 4 minutes or until the cheese is melting and the bottom of the bread is lightly golden.
- As the grilled cheese cooks, to a large skillet over medium-low heat, add 1/2 the oil. When the oil is hot, carefully crack 2 eggs into the pan (keep the yolks intact), and try to keep them from touching. Cook for several minutes, until the whites and yolks of the eggs are firm.
- Use a spatula to remove the eggs from the pan, and transfer them to a warm dish. Repeat with the remaining oil and eggs.
- Transfer the grilled cheese sandwiches to plates, and top each with a fried egg. Season with salt and ground black pepper, and serve warm.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.
More Meatless Monday recipes
Citrus fajitas with mushrooms, peppers and Brussels sprouts
Lentil and veggie sloppy Joes
Vegan warm farro salad with roasted carrots and fennel