There's nothing better than finishing your dinner, looking back at the kitchen sink area and realizing you have to wash only one pot or pan. Can I get an amen to that?
One-skillet dinners are where it's at. Well, at least on a busy weeknight. I do love me some five-pot-kitchen-sink-disaster decadent macaroni and cheese, but that can wait until the weekend.
When dinner is just one skillet, there's really no excuse to even contemplate takeout. Especially when this one takes only 25 minutes. Chicken is tossed with cornstarch for that signature takeout texture and then tossed with broccoli, cashews and a creamy peanut butter-soy sauce.
And cleanup takes only two minutes.
Quick cashew chicken and broccoli skillet recipe
This quick and easy one-skillet dinner is tastier than takeout and ready in the same amount of time.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes | Total time: 25 minutes
- 1 pound skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into cubes
- Salt and pepper
- 1-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Dash red pepper flakes
- Steamed white rice, for serving
- Season the chicken cubes with salt and pepper, then toss them into a large bowl with 1 tablespoon of the cornstarch.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add the garlic, ginger and chicken. Spread the chicken into 1 even layer, and let cook for about 3 to 4 minutes, until golden brown on the bottom, then flip each piece, and cook for another 3 minutes on the other side. The chicken will be browned, not cooked through, at this point.
- Add the broccoli florets and cashews to the skillet, and toss to combine with the chicken. Let cook for about 5 minutes, until softened.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of cornstarch, the chicken broth, peanut butter, soy sauce and red pepper flakes.
- Once the broccoli has softened, pour the mixture into the skillet. Bring the mixture back to a simmer, toss until everything is coated in the sauce, then turn off the heat, and serve with cooked rice.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.
More quick skillet recipes
Beef orzo skillet
Easy Asian turkey skillet
One-skillet cilantro lime chicken dinner