One of my absolute favorite cuisines (other than Mexican) is Indian food. If you are a bit intimidated by this type of food, don't be. What I love most about Indian food is the rich, flavorful selection of spices added to nearly all dishes.
Curries are one of the more popular dishes you might see when enjoying this type of food. In this recipe, I tried to re-create a dish that is not only super flavorful but also vegetarian and — most important — easy to prepare. Break out your slow cooker, and get this curry going for dinner. You will be surprised how good this not only smells but how delicious this combination of ingredients comes together in taste.
Easy slow cooker vegetarian chickpea curry recipe
Garbanzo beans — aka chickpeas — are added to the slow cooker, simmered in a rich and flavorful curry sauce and served over rice. Tip: This meal is perfect to freeze and reheat on a busy day.
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 4 hours | Total time: 4 hours 20 minutes
- 2 tablespoons ghee or clarified butter, melted
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1/2 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon garam masala (can be found in the spice section or at Indian grocery stores)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 large sweet onion, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- Cooked rice, for serving
- Minced red onion and cilantro, for garnish
- Add all the ingredients to the slow cooker except for the garbanzo beans, and mix well.
- Gently stir in the garbanzo beans, and cover the slow cooker with the lid
- Set the cooker to low, and cook for 4 hours, stirring occasionally if possible.
- Once the curry is done, serve over warm rice, and top with red onions and cilantro.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.
More slow cooker recipes
Overnight slow cooker apple pie oats
Slow cooker turkey meatballs
Slow cooker African peanut stew