Admittedly I didn't really fall in love with France when I visited like everyone else seems to. It was cold, rainy and damp, I didn't (still don't) speak a lick of the language, and people weren't that friendly. I will say, though, that I ate some pretty darn delicious food while there, including a street-side café croque monsieur that knocked my socks off.
That's pretty impressive considering it's basically a ham and cheese sandwich. Granted, it's doused in butter, so that might help a little (OK, a lot) too.
That lunch inspired this casserole. It's the dinner version of a croque monsieur minus all the butter but still decadent thanks to the eggs and milk it gets soaked and baked in. It's basically like making a sandwich for dinner, but it'll look like you put a heck of lot more effort into it when it comes out in a baking dish.
Croque monsieur casserole recipe
The decadent French sandwich is turned into an easy casserole that will feed the family. Serve with a nice green salad, and dinner is on the table in 30 minutes.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 small French baguette, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 pound deli Black Forest ham, sliced
- 1/4 pound deli Swiss cheese, sliced
- 1/3 cup grated Gruyère cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F, and grease an 8 x 8-inch baking dish.
- Chop 1/3 of the bread slices into cubes, and set them aside.
- Spread the Dijon mustard on top of the remaining slices of bread.
- Arrange the bread slices so that they're slightly overlapping in the baking dish.
- Fold 1/2 the cheese on top of the bread.
- Fold the ham slices on top of the cheese.
- Top the ham with the remaining sliced cheese.
- Put the bread cubes on top of the cheese.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk.
- Pour the mixture over the top of the casserole, soaking the bread cubes evenly while doing so.
- Top with the grated Gruyère, and place in the oven to bake for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven when the top is golden brown and crispy.
- Let the casserole set for 3 to 5 minutes before slicing.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.
More casserole recipes
Beef enchilada casserole
Quinoa caprese dinner casserole