I think just about all of us have devoured a few corn dogs in our time. Let's face it: Those deep-fried, cornbread-covered hot dogs have never disappointed in the taste department. But they are not exactly healthy.
In this version, I used all-natural chicken hot dogs and gave them a light coating of a homemade cornbread batter. Baking these dogs rather than deep-frying them in hot oil keeps them healthier and is a much better option than those greasy, high-calorie, store-bought types. I look for organic, all-natural and nitrate-free hot dogs, but feel free to use whatever you can find.
Easy homemade baked corn dogs recipe
These corn dogs are all-natural and baked until golden brown rather than deep-fried in greasy oil. Freeze these homemade dogs for a quick snack by wrapping them up individually in plastic wrap and storing them in freezer bags. Reheat for several minutes in the microwave, or reheat them in the oven.
Prep time: 20 minutes | Bake time: 18 minutes | Total time: 38 minutes
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 whole egg
- 12 all-natural, organic chicken hot dogs
- 12 wooden skewers
- Fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line 2 small baking sheets or 1 large baking sheet with parchment paper, and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and sea salt. Mix well, and make a well in the middle of the bowl.
- Add the syrup, buttermilk and the egg.
- Using a wire whisk or a fork, mix the batter until smooth and your desired consistency reached. (You want your batter to be thick enough to coat the hot dogs.)
- Insert a skewer into the end of each chicken hot dog, and then dip them one by one into the batter.
- Lay the coated hot dogs onto the baking sheet, and bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until the cornbread coating is a golden brown color.
- Serve warm with mustard or ketchup.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.
More homemade recipes made healthy
Easy peasy fruit and yogurt ice pops
Homemade pumpkin latte granola
Homemade cheese cracker snacks