Who doesn't love fajitas? While this restaurant favorite won't sizzle at your table, the flavors will definitely add excitement to your dinner. And it happens to make the perfect Meatless Monday meal.
I'm willing to bet that by now you've reconsidered — and maybe even embraced — Brussels sprouts. I'm so glad I'm a fan, since they're so versatile.
Brussels spouts add great flavor and heartiness to fajitas as part of a Meatless Monday meal. Round things out with red peppers, mushrooms and onions, then pour on the bright citrus flavor. Lemon juice and zest bring vibrant flavor to this dish and are the perfect match with these mini cabbagelike veggies.
Citrus fajitas with mushrooms, red peppers and Brussels sprouts recipe
Veggies like onions and peppers are standard (and delicious) in fajitas, but it's also nice to add a touch of the unexpected, like Brussels sprouts. Fill up on fajitas that include veggies and lemon juice for a bright meal.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 15-18 minutes | Total time: 25-28 minutes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil for cast-iron skillet or 2 tablespoons for non-cast-iron skillet
- 1-1/2 cups Brussels sprouts, stems trimmed, cut in half
- 1 white onion, cut into thin strips
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeds and membrane removed, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup button mushrooms, ends trimmed, cut into slices
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 4 flour tortillas
- Cilantro leaves, sour cream and avocado, as garnish
- Add the Brussels sprouts halves to a microwave-safe bowl with 2 tablespoons of water. Cook for about 3 minutes to steam them. Remove, drain the water, and set them aside.
- To a large skillet over medium heat, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until they begin to soften. Move the onions to one side of the skillet, and add the Brussels sprouts, cut side down, and the red pepper. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until the Brussels sprouts begin to caramelize and turn golden and the pepper softens. Toss the mixture together.
- Add the mushrooms, salt and pepper. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until the mushrooms release their juices and soften.
- Increase the heat slightly, and add the lemon juice. Stir to combine. Cook for a few minutes, until a bit of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from the heat, and add the lemon zest over the mixture. Serve with warmed tortillas and your favorite garnishes, like cilantro, sour cream and avocado.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.
More Meatless Monday recipes
Vegan warm farro salad with roasted carrots and fennel
Patatas bravas with spicy and smoky tomato sauce
Lightened-up vegetable korma