Growing up, we had Hamburger Helper at least once a month. I always loved it, and my mom was a fan because it could be ready in no time. Now that I'm older, I try to make my food the non-processed way and love that this dish gives me all the flavor without all the stuff in the box.
This recipe takes just a few simple ingredients and is sure to please even the most picky eaters. It's packed full of lean ground beef, mushrooms, sour cream and delicious egg noodles. Trust me, you will love this dish.
Copycat Hamburger Helper beef stroganoff recipe
This copycat Hamburger Helper beef stroganoff is made from unprocessed ingredients and is 100 percent homemade. Why buy from the box when you can make from scratch?
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes | Total time: 40 minutes
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 16 ounces sliced mushrooms
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 6 ounces egg noodles, cooked
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- In a large skillet set over medium heat, brown the ground beef with the onions. Once the meat is browned, add in the garlic, and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add in the mushrooms, cover the skillet, and cook for about 5 minutes or until the mushrooms release their water.
- Remove the lid, and cook until the mushrooms are soft and most of the moisture in the dish has cooked off. Season with the kosher salt, pepper and fresh thyme.
- Remove the meat from the heat, and stir in the sour cream and cooked egg noodles. (If the mixture is too thick, then simply add more sour cream to thin it out.)
- Top with parsley, and serve hot.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.
More pasta recipes
Sausage, cheese and sun-dried tomato pasta recipe
Sunday Dinner: Pasta with Brussels sprouts
Caprese pasta salad