I'm obsessed with spaghetti squash. I honestly think I might love it more than actual pasta. Plus it's packed full of nutrients and tastes fantastic. This casserole not only uses fresh roasted spaghetti squash, but it combines it with a homemade tomato sauce, kale and stringy mozzarella cheese.
The hardest thing about making this squash is waiting for it to roast in the oven. Trust me, though, it's well worth the wait. You could also do the roasting ahead of time and simply toss the shredded squash into the recipe when you make the sauce. That makes it perfect for busy days. You can roast the squash in the morning while you get ready for work and then make the sauce when you get home. How perfect is that?
Baked spaghetti squash casserole recipe
Tired of pasta? We took spaghetti squash, mixed it with a quick homemade tomato sauce, topped it with cheese and baked till melty. This is a healthy twist to your typical pasta bake.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 1 hour 40 minutes | Total time: 1 hour 50 minutes
- 1 medium- to large-size spaghetti squash (about 4 pounds)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 ounce) cans whole cherry tomatoes in juice
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Microwave the squash for about 5 minutes. This helps to soften it so you can slice it in half.
- Scoop out the seeds, rub the inside of the squash with a drizzle of olive oil, and then season with salt and pepper.
- Place the squash on the prepared baking, and bake for about 1 hour, depending on size. The squash is ready when the edges are brown and the flesh of the squash easily strings when a fork is run across it.
- Remove the squash from the oven, shred it with a fork, and set it aside.
- To a large, oven-safe saucepan, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add in the kale, green pepper, onion and garlic.
- Continue cooking until the vegetables are soft and the garlic is fragrant.
- Add in the cherry tomatoes with the juice, and simmer until the tomatoes start to break down and the sauce thickens. This should take around 20 minutes.
- Add in the shredded spaghetti squash, and toss to combine.
- Top with shredded cheese, and pop the casserole into the oven for 10 minutes to melt the cheese.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.
More casserole recipes
20 Casserole recipes
Mini homemade green bean casseroles
Huevos rancheros breakfast casserole