Cooking an entire meal in one pot (or in this case, I cheated a little and boiled the eggs in another pot to make cooking time faster) makes dinner easier and more fun, as you take the whole skillet to the table and start to dig in. It reminds me of sneaking some forkfuls out of the pan of my favorite dishes while my mom was still cooking our dinner.
When I make one-pot meals and take the whole pan to the table, my kids feel like it's a little party, because they don't normally get to scoop out their meals straight from the skillet. (Plus it's breakfast for dinner, which is always a treat.)
When it comes to the taste, I can give you a thumbs-up on this one. The balsamic vinegar gives the dish a rounder taste without being too invasive in its vinegary flavor. And all the other ingredients just work perfectly together to create a harmonious dish.
One-pot farro with roasted peppers and sweet potatoes recipe
Combining farro with roasted peppers, salami, sweet potatoes and balsamic vinegar gives this one-pot dish an awesome flavor. It is healthy, flavorful and easy to prepare, though the farro does take about 30 minutes to cook (its inactive time).
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 1 hour | Total time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- 1/2 cup uncooked farro
- 2 cups water
- 2 eggs
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 9 ounces sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 6-8 slices mini salami
- 4 cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered (depending on the size)
- 1/3 cup bottled roasted peppers, coarsely chopped
- 1-1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Handful fresh rosemary
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- In a pot over medium heat, bring the farro, 2 cups of water and a pinch of salt to a boil. Once boiling, turn down the heat to low, and then simmer for 30 minutes or until the farro is tender. Drain, and then set the farro aside.
- While the farro cooks, in another small pot, bring some water to a boil to cook the eggs. Let them cook for 5 minutes. Drain the hot water, and then replace with cold water from the tap to stop the cooking. Leave them until they reach room temperature. Note: For a true one-pot meal, you can use the same pot you cooked the farro in after it is done, but the cooking time will be slightly longer, since you can't cook the two together.
- Using the same skillet you used for the farro, over medium heat, sauté the garlic for 1 minute.
- Add the sweet potatoes, and cook for about 8 minutes or until they color and become tender.
- Discard the garlic when it turns golden brown.
- Add the salami and tomatoes, and then cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the roasted peppers, and toss for 2 more minutes.
- Add the farro, rosemary and balsamic vinegar, and cook for 3 minutes while mixing well.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Peel the eggs, and place them on top of the skillet.
- Serve warm.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.
More one-pot meals
One-pot Italian quinoa pasta and beans soup
Steel-cut oat bean chili
Creamy one-pot vegan Mexican macaroni and cheese