Nothing is more delicious during the chilly winter months than a big, piping-hot cup of hot chocolate. While it's yummy, some either do not or cannot consume dairy, making hot chocolate impossible — until now.
Using a homemade cashew milk infused with vanilla and sweetened with agave, you can easily add rich, dark chocolate to this plant-based milk and serve it warm just like a regular hot cocoa. Even dairy drinkers will be amazed at how rich and creamy this drink is and might even say it's better than the real thing.
Don't forget the whipped cream either. You can find lots of dairy-free versions at your grocery store nowadays, or simply make your own out of coconut milk.
Vegan vanilla agave cashew milk hot chocolate recipe
Homemade vanilla cashew milk is sweetened with agave and combined with melted dark chocolate for an epic hot chocolate, plant-based drink.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 10 minutes | Total time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup raw cashews that have been soaked for 6 hours or longer
- 2-1/2 cups filtered water
- 4 tablespoons raw agave
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 ounces very good quality dark chocolate, chopped
- Coconut whipped cream for garnish (or any dairy-free whipped topping)
- To a high-speed blender such as a Vitamix, add the soaked cashews, filtered water, agave, vanilla and sea salt.
- Blend on high for 1 to 2 minutes or until the mixture is velvety smooth and creamy.
- In a small saucepot, combine the cashew milk and dark chocolate. Simmer on medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently until the mixture is hot and the chocolate has completely melted.
- Divide the hot chocolate into cups, and garnish with coconut whipped cream.
- Best served warm.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.
More homemade vegan recipes
Vegan vanilla almond milk with chia ice cubes
Vegan gluten-free hempseed cookies
Homemade vegan buffalo-style mozzarella