Ready to serve a salad teeming with roasted veggies and a fabulous whole grain? If your answer is yes, then this is the salad you need to try. More like a main dish than a side, this vegan and Meatless Monday recipe for warm farro salad with roasted carrots and fennel is so delicious. Winter veggies are roasted until golden and then tossed with a favorite whole grain of mine — farro — for a fab meal.
Fennel is similar to celery in looks and texture, but it has a slight licorice, or anise, flavor to it. It's not overwhelming, so don't worry if you're not a fan of licorice. It pairs nicely alongside carrots, which take on a sweeter flavor thanks to oven-roasting them.
Toss these veggies together with the warm farro, a bit of olive oil and lemon zest, and you're in for a great dish.
Vegan warm farro salad with roasted carrots and fennel recipe
This is a salad that is perfect for the winter months. Roasting the vegetables in the oven is easy and quicker than you might think. This is a lovely dish for a special gathering or as one to brighten a weeknight meal.
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes | Total time: 35 minutes
- 1 cup uncooked farro
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 4 large carrots, peeled and ends trimmed, cut into 3 pieces and quartered
- 2-3 fennel bulbs, stalks, fronds and core removed, cut into 4 wedges
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra to drizzle over salad
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Prepare the farro according to the package directions, but replace the water with vegetable broth.
- As the farro cooks, add the carrot pieces to 1 baking sheet and the fennel to another. Drizzle both with the olive oil, and season with the salt and black pepper.
- Bake the vegetables for about 15 minutes, tossing once or twice. Check to make sure the vegetables are softening, and remove them once they turn dark golden.
- Toss the farro and vegetables into a serving bowl, drizzle with a bit of olive oil, and garnish with the lemon zest.
- Toss, and serve warm.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.
More Meatless Monday recipes
Patatas bravas with spicy and smoky tomato sauce
Lightened-up vegetable korma
Farro, radicchio and pear salad with lemon-basil vinaigrette