It's hard to imagine a party without at least one dip, but quite often these dips are high in calories and fat. Fortunately that's not the case here, as these three slimmed-down party dips have been revamped and are destined to be delicious yet healthier party favourites.
Revamped roasted garlic and rosemary dip
Serving size approximately 1-1/2 cups
- 3 heads of garlic
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 a (250-gram) block of reduced-fat cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup 95 per cent fat-free cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons non-fat Greek yogourt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper and kosher salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut off the very top of each head of garlic. Add the bulbs of garlic to a small baking dish, and drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil.
- Cover with foil, and bake for approximately 45 minutes or until the garlic is roasted and tender.
- Allow to cool, and then squeeze the garlic cloves out of their skins.
- While the garlic is roasting, beat the cream cheese, mayonnaise and yogourt together until smooth.
- Stir in the rosemary, fresh pepper and salt. Store in the refrigerator until the garlic has cooled.
- Chop up the roasted garlic cloves, and stir them into the cream cheese mixture. Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.
- Serve with toasted baguette slices, pita chips or whole-grain crackers.
Revamped dilly dip
Serving size 1-1/2 cups
- 1 cup fat-free Greek yogourt
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon dried dill weed
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- 2 teaspoons Bon Appétit seasoning
- 2 teaspoons lemon pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- To a medium bowl, add all the ingredients.
- Mix to combine, and chill the mixture in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour, until ready to serve.
- Serve with cut-up raw vegetables or pita bread.
Revamped queso dip
Serving size 2 cups
- 1/2 cup finely sliced green onions
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 a (250-gram) block of reduced-fat cream cheese, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-fat sharp or aged cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons drained and chopped pickled jalapenos
- 2 tablespoons chopped roasted red pepper
- To a small frying pan, add the onion and garlic, and sauté over medium heat with 1/4 cup of water until the onions and garlic are tender and the water has cooked off.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the milk and cornstarch over medium heat. Whisk until combined, then add the cream cheese, and mix it in until it's melted. Add the grated cheddar, and continue whisking until a smooth sauce is formed. Stir in the onion-garlic mixture, jalapenos and red pepper, and cook for 2 minutes to incorporate the flavours.
- Remove from heat, and serve warm with multi-grain tortilla chips.
While roasted garlic is the perfect choice for a creamy dip such as our roasted garlic and rosemary dip, it's also a flavourful addition to many other foods. Roast several heads of garlic ahead of time, and keep them in the refrigerator, ready to use whenever needed. Why not mix roasted garlic into mashed potatoes, pizza and pasta sauce? Or how about adding a few cloves to a salad, whipped butter or olive oil? The possibilities are almost endless!
More on party foods
Create a delicious antipasto platter
A Scandinavian favourite: Swedish meatballs