Going meatless for a night doesn't mean missing out on a filling and comforting evening meal. This yummy vegetarian casserole offers a fresh way to warm your belly and satisfy your taste buds.
Quinoa and bean casserole
Serving size 4–6
Recipe inspired by hellobee
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into even rounds
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons ground flax
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups packed spinach leaves
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 cup black beans
- 1/4 cup soy milk
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 teaspoon honey
- In a large pot, place the sweet potato pieces, and cover with water. Bring to a boil, and cook until a fork inserted in their centres indicates they are tender — about 30 minutes. When they are done, drain the water, and set them aside.
- In a medium pot, place the quinoa and the vegetable broth. Cook the quinoa at a simmer until all the broth has been absorbed — roughly 10–15 minutes. Then remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the flaxseeds and water, and let chill in the fridge.
- In a medium frying pan, place the olive oil, onion and garlic, and heat over medium-low until onions become tender — about 8–10 minutes.
- Add the spinach to the onions, and heat until wilted — roughly 2–3 minutes.
- Remove the flaxseed mixture from the fridge — it will have achieved a pudding-like consistency. Stir in the cinnamon, cumin, nutmeg and 1 teaspoon of salt.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked quinoa, flaxseed mixture, onion and spinach mixture and the black beans.
- Place the cooked sweet potatoes in a food processor or blender with soy milk, margarine, honey and a 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Blend until smooth.
- Grease a 9 x 9-inch baking tray, and pour the quinoa and bean mixture in. Flatten the mixture with the back of a wooden spoon so it is even throughout the pan.
- Pour the sweet potato mixture over the flat quinoa, and smooth out to the sides and corners.
- Bake the casserole in the oven for 30–35 minutes or until the edges of the sweet potatoes begin to golden slightly.
- Remove from the oven, and let the casserole cool for 5–10 minutes before cutting and serving.
More vegetarian recipes
Recipe revamp: Chili
Mexican-fiesta vegetarian stuffed peppers
Creamy orzo with peas and asparagus