Colcannon: A traditional Irish side dish
celebrate St. Patrick's Day the healthy way
From SheKnows Canada
Get into the Irish spirit without a drop of green food colouring this St. Patrick's Day with this traditional and nutritious dish.
Serving size 4–6
- 4 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups packed kale, finely shredded
- 2 tablespoons water
- 6 tablespoons margarine
- 3/4 cup milk or milk alternative
- 1–2 teaspoons salt (more or less, to taste)
- Place the potatoes in a large pot of water, and bring to a boil. Let the potatoes cook for 30 minutes or until they break apart easily with a fork.
- Drain the potatoes, and transfer them to a large bowl.
- Reduce heat to low. Place the kale, water and margarine into the pot, and cook for 5 minutes, until the kale has fully wilted.
- While the kale is cooking, add the milk and salt to the bowl of potatoes, and mash with a potato masher until fully broken down.
- Transfer the potatoes to the pot of kale, and stir to combine. Serve immediately.
More potato recipes
Tasty potato salad with no mayonnaise
Tasty ways to top a baked potato
Alternative to Thanksgiving mashed sweet potatoes: Latkes!
Recommended for You