Whether it's a recipe or the ingredients on the side of a box, it can be hard to find snack bars that are loaded with nutrition rather than with sugar.
Fruit and seed bars
Serving size 20
Recipe inspired by Food & Drink
Many of the snack bars out there are either high in bad fats and sugars or are marketed as "low-calorie" but lacking in any real nutritional value. This recipe, however, is made purely of all-natural ingredients for a breakfast, snack or even dessert that you can feel good about eating.
- 1 cup dates, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup unsalted pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, and grease a 9 x 15-inch pan.
- Place the dates and water in a small pot over medium-high heat. Simmer for 5 minutes or until the water has almost entirely evaporated. Remove from heat, and let cool.
- In a large bowl combine the oats, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, chia seeds, flaxseeds, coconut, apricots, almond flour, applesauce, maple syrup, canola oil and salt. Stir in the dates, and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into the greased pan, being careful to spread it out evenly. Press down firmly with a flat utensil such as a spatula to form an even surface extending through the middle and out to the edges. This is very important to ensure the seeds stick together.
- Bake in the oven for 20–25 minutes or until the edges begin to turn golden brown. Remove from heat, and let cool for 5–10 minutes before cutting and transferring to a resealable container for storage.
These fruit and seed bars can be crumbly, so wrap them in plastic wrap or aluminum foil, and place them in a zip-lock bag for extra security when travelling with them.
More healthy snack ideas
Healthy late-night snacking
Quick and easy trail mix recipes
Slimming snack recipes for women