Winter days can feel long and exhausting, not to mention cold. So warm up at the end of a tiring day with one of these yummy and soothing hot beverages.
Guilt-free hot chocolate
When you need a sweet treat at the end of a long day but don't want to regret downing a high-calorie beverage just before bed, whip up this simple, guilt-free hot chocolate.
Serving size 1
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- Drops of liquid stevia, to taste
- Place the almond milk and vanilla in a mug, and heat in the microwave for 60–90 seconds.
- Stir in the cocoa powder until thoroughly combined, and heat for another 30 seconds if necessary.
- Add liquid stevia until desired sweetness is achieved, and enjoy.
Traditional Irish coffee
Let's face it: The Irish know how to drink! And this traditional beverage is one of their best.
Serving size 1
- 1-1/2 ounces Irish whiskey
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 3/4 cup hot coffee
- Whipped cream
- 1 maraschino cherry, for garnish (optional)
- Stir the whiskey, brown sugar and coffee in a glass until the sugar is dissolved.
- Scoop or spray whipped cream on top of the beverage.
- Top with a cherry if desired, and enjoy.
Note: For a creamier flavour and a deliciously sweet touch, add a splash of Baileys!
Spicy mulled wine
Mulled wine is a nice, lighter alternative to the heavy drinks commonly enjoyed during the winter. This recipe is a delicious blend of sugar and spice that's great for a night in with your special someone or a couple of friends.
Serving size 4
- 1 bottle of red wine
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tablespoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 star anise
- 1 dried bay leaf
- Place the sugar, orange zest, orange juice, cinnamon stick, cloves, nutmeg, star anise, bay leaf and 1 cup of the red wine in a large pot. Warm slowly over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Once the sugar has dissolved, add the rest of the wine, and continue to warm over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Pour into a pitcher through a fine sieve to remove the spices.
- Pour into glasses, and serve.
Note: Because the wine is going to be warmed and spiced, don't worry about buying an expensive brand — any affordable bottle will do!
Sweet hot toddy
Hot toddies are warm and soothing in so many ways. The combination of honey, lemon and a splash of brandy can be just what you need when you're feeling a little under the weather.
Serving size 1
Note: You can add more or less water depending on desired strength of drink.
- 1-1/2 ounces brandy
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Juice from half a lemon
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- Cinnamon stick (optional)
- Place the brandy, honey and lemon in a mug.
- Pour in hot water, and stir to combine.
- Add a cinnamon stick for garnish.
More delicious drinks
Festive holiday cocktail recipes
Diet-friendly alcoholic beverages