You don't have to give up on flavour just because you're trying to eat well. This Thai chicken stir-fry is every bit as delicious as your favourite takeout dish is.
Thai chicken stir-fry
Serving size 4
A stir-fry is a fabulous way to combine a variety of vegetables with lean protein for a nutritious and satisfying meal. And if you're looking to give your usual chicken stir-fry a new, exotic flair, Thai is the way to go.
- 2–3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and julienned
- 1 red pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 broccoli head, cut into florets
- 3 portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons regular soya sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon dark soya sauce
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- Zest of one lime
- Juice of one lime
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1–2 teaspoons chili pepper (more or less to desired level of spice)
- Handful fresh basil, chopped
- Place the chicken and sesame oil in a large wok over medium-low heat. Cook until pink colour has disappeared. Transfer the chicken to a bowl.
- Heat the canola oil, onion, carrot and red pepper in the wok for 3–4 minutes.
- Add in the broccoli, and cook for another 3–4 minutes.
- Add in the mushrooms, garlic and ginger, and continue cooking for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the chicken, and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine the coconut milk, soya sauces, fish sauce, lime zest, lime juice, maple syrup and chili peppers.
- Add the sauce to the vegetable mixture, and thoroughly coat the meat and vegetables.
- Sprinkle with basil, and cook until it has wilted.
- Serve the stir-fry over rice or noodles, or enjoy it on its own.
Don't get too caught up in the vegetables listed here. They're a great starting point, but this is your dinner, so personalize it with whichever vegetables you prefer!
More healthy recipes
Chicken, shrimp and vegetable udon noodle stir-fry
En papillote: A healthy way to cook
Hearty vegetable barley soup