Soup is the perfect winter comfort food, and this barley soup is loaded with healthy ingredients that will fill you up and get you through the cold days.
Vegetable barley soup
Serving size 6–8
When you're in need of a warm and comforting dish, you don't have to reach for a heavy chili or pasta. Grab a bowl of this nutritious and yummy barley soup instead, and your tummy and your waistline will thank you for it!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup barley, rinsed
- 1/2 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bunch of spinach, rinsed and shredded
- Heat the oil, onion, carrots and celery in a large pot over low-medium heat.
- Once the onions have softened, add in the garlic, vegetable broth, barley, lentils, salt, basil, rosemary and oregano.
- Cover, and let simmer for 35 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add in the spinach, and let simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the heat, and let it cool slightly before serving.
This recipe yields a fairly large quantity, so feel free to store the leftovers in a resealable container in the fridge so you can grab a healthy meal whenever you need it.
More healthy soup recipes
Vegan butternut squash soup
Creamy homemade mushroom soup
Creamy carrot soup for a cold day