Store-bought granolas can be loaded with hidden sugars and fats. But when you make it at home, you can be sure you're giving your body all the nutrients it needs in the morning.
Homemade granola can be a healthy and satisfying way to start the day. And this seasonal twist will make it extra special!
Pumpkin granola and yogourt parfait
Serving size 4
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/3 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1-1/2 tablespoons flaxseeds, ground
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup dates, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups 0 per cent plain Greek yogourt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar or sugar substitute such as stevia (more or less to taste)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Combine the oats, walnuts, pecans, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, flaxseeds, cranberries, dates, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt in a bowl. Mix well.
- Stir in the pumpkin puree, applesauce, maple syrup, brown sugar, oil and vanilla. Combine thoroughly.
- Sprinkle the mixture onto a large baking tray. Make sure it is spread out evenly.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. The outsides will cook and crisp faster, so make sure to stir it well and layer it out evenly again.
- When golden brown, remove from heat, and let cool for 10 minutes.
- While the granola is cooling, combine the yogourt, sugar, maple syrup and vanilla in a small bowl.
- In four glasses, alternate layers of yogourt and layers of granola. Top with berries for garnish, and serve.
make a note
If you wind up with extra granola, don't fret! Simply store it in a zip-lock bag or resealable container, and enjoy snacking on it throughout the week.
More healthy breakfast ideas
Healthy pumpkin spice muffins
Quinoa for breakfast: Two ways
3 Delicious under-400-calorie breakfasts