Looking for a dish everyone in your family will enjoy? This barley risotto is the perfect combination of healthy and scrumptious, so even the pickiest of eaters will gobble it down.
Barley risotto with mushrooms, kale and sweet potato
Serving size 4
Between leafy greens, starchy sweet potatoes and nutritious grains, this healthy risotto has a little bit of everything your body needs.
- 1 cup pot barley
- 3-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 medium sweet potato, chopped into small squares
- 1-1/2 cups small button mushrooms, cut into quarters
- 2 cups packed kale, shredded
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Salt (to taste)
- Place the onions and olive oil in a large pot. Heat for 2–3 minutes. Add in the garlic, and continue cooking until onions start to become tender.
- Pour in the barley, and toast it in the oil for up to a minute.
- Pour in the vegetable broth, and let it simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato, and stir to cover it with the broth. Cover with the lid, and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, and cook for 20 minutes. Keep the heat on low so the barley doesn't burn, and stir regularly.
- Toss in the kale, salt and oregano. Stir until the kale has wilted.
- Transfer the risotto into bowls, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese or cheese substitute if desired, and serve.
Note: If the barley seems undercooked toward the end when all the broth has been absorbed, add more water a few tablespoons at a time until desired readiness.
More healthy dinners
Autumn stuffed butternut squash
Nutty autumn sweet potato stew
Vegan chickpea and bulgur burgers